“There are only two hard things in Computer Science 0. Off-by-one errors 1. cache invalidation 2. naming things” – Phil Karlton
- Let the meaning choose the word.
- Describe the thing you have been visualising you probably hunt about until you find the exact words that seem to fit it.
- Never use metaphor, toolongaword, jargon
- Abbreviations are ambiguous for instance char stands for character or characteristics. But try to make it more meaningful.
- Allow one exception: id for ‘identity’
- One letter is too short for instance, var a, var b
- Vague words are vague for instance “manager” could mean supervisor, planning manager etc.
- Don’t get confused with synonyms :
- order IS NOT EQUAL TO shipment
- carrier IS NOT EQUAL TO broker INSTEAD
- shipment IS EQUALS TO consignment
- carrier IS EQUALS TO transporter
- Multiple words can be replaced by more specific words e.g company_person means employee or owner!! Don’t be too generic!
- What is the worst ever variable name?
- What is the second-worst name?
Any guesses for the third one??